Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scary, but True

As I was reading this month's issue of ESPN The Magazine, I stumbled upon an interview with Tim Lincecum of the San Francisco Giants. It covers everything to where he started to where he is now, the way he warms up, to the kind of car he drives. If you havent read it yet, I highly suggest it. As I was reading the interview I caught myself thinking, "Man, what I would do to have a pitcher like him on my team". Then a light bulb went off. I know that all of you will not agree with what I am about to propose, but we might have to face this reality in a couple of years. If you haven't figured out what I am trying to get across, I will give you a couple more seconds...still no? Ok, well it has to do with trading Albert Pujols before his contract expires in two years, with a third year if we do indeed decide to exercise that option. Lets say, hypothetically, that he still puts up the typical numbers of 35+ hr's, 130+ RBI's and .330+ avg. for the next couple of years and his comments from a few weeks back about taking a hometown discount becomes a distant and I mean a DISTANT memory to him. I hope to God that he takes a hometown discount for the reason that he is the best in the game and that he plays for the Cardinals, but lets get serious. Lets say in a couple of years when his contract is coming to a close with the Cardinals, that we look to trade him. Rather than giving him $30 mm per year or whatever he asks for because whatever he is going to ask for we will not be able to give him, especially with the amount of years that will be attached. Then this is where the answer to my light bulb comes in. So we trade him in the last year of his contract, but what could we get in return? Albert Pujols, if he stays in shape and remains healthy, has a lot left in the tank and will keep putting up those sick numbers. Could we trade him for Lincecum? Even if we dont get a first baseman in return, we could always use one of our own to move to the 1B position. These are the top five teams that I have researched and have considered definite possibilities to pull this off. 

#1.) San Francisco Giants: They ask for Pujols. Then we respond with, "Ok. Give us Lincecum, Fred Lewis and John Bowker". Or Jonathan Sanchez, Fred Lewis and Emmanuel Burris. Yes there is a downgrade at 1B with Bowker (anything is a downgrade from Pujols), but our SP would be bolstered and Burris is their projected starting SS which would also be an upgrade at that position for us. I am very high on Fred Lewis, but I doubt that they would give all of that up. Jonathan Sanchez is no joke either. I would love to have him on my staff. Or they can also throw in Madison Baumgardner somewhere in there who is one of the best SP's in the minor leagues (#9 in Top 100 Prospects). This is where the logic of trading him comes in. Rather than giving Pujols $30 mm a year, we could use all of that money towards these other young, up and coming players who have very bright futures ahead. The Giants also have the money to do this.

#2.) Angels - SP Joe Saunders, RP Jose Arredondo (unbelievable stuff, potential closer, K-Rod clone), 2B Howie Kendrick and top pitching prospects Jordan Waldan and Trevor Reckling. Another team that has the budget to pull this off.

#3.) Boston Red Sox - Another team that has the payroll to obtain Pujols. SP Clay Bucholz, top prospects 1B Lars Anderson and RHP Daniel Bard. I would also ask for Josh Beckett but at the same time taking Bucholz and/or one of the top prospects off of the return players.

#4.) Baltimore Orioles -  OF Adam Jones or OF Nick Markakis, top prospect RHP Chris Tillman and top prospect LHP Brian Matusz. No way in getting Matt Wieters who is the #1 top prospect in all of baseball.

#5.) Los Angeles Dodgers - 1B James Loney, SP Chad Billingsley or SP Clayton Kershaw. We will have to see how we are looking in the outfield by 2011 with the possibility of Ankiel leaving to free agency or trading him and if Ludwick drops off. So we could look at OF's Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp. Obviously we wouldnt be able to get all of these guys, but they definitely have a lot and enough to give up. Again, another team with the money to be able to pull this off.

This is all speculation, but it is definitely in the realm of possibility. I hope that I am wrong by the time the 2011 season comes to an end, but this a part of the game. The top players will continue to ask for more and more money which will only leave a few teams in contention for those types of players. This leaves teams like the Cardinals with a couple options. 1.) Trying to sign the player and (2.) Taking advantage of trading him and getting great players in return. I hope the day that we come to this realization never comes and Pujols stays true to his word, but that is two years from now. Who knows what could happen between now and then.








4 comments:

  1. He's definitely a card to play with. I understand the idea and it's not a bad one. However, I think we should keep him as long as we can because he seems to be the one that keeps this ball club together. It might ALL fall apart if he goes somewhere else.

    So I think keep him unless it comes down to an emergency to get rid of him or we can't afford him. But given the pull of fans because of him, I don't think that will be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a novel idea, but I don't think that the Cardinals' organization is so ignorant to the fact that if Pujols is out of St. Louis, a lot of fans (including myself) would be calling for someone's head. I'm sorry, but it's never a good idea to trade one of the best players to ever play the game. Go ask the Boston Red Sox. Curse of the Bambino, much? I don't care if we get the other team's top three players, nothing would match the aura of Pujols both on and off the field. He is a natural-born leader, and he is someone to look up to in the clubhouse. He plays the game the right way, and he is a winner. Why would the Cardinals want anything else than to have this guy on their club? I am going to be super pissed off if Pujols is traded mid season in 2011. If he decides to go somewhere else after the Cardinals offer him a fair contract for more money and to play for a winning ball club (if the Cardinals are not in contention at that time), then I will not be mad at the Cardinals organization. If they legitimately try to get him back, and it is totally on Pujols's decision on whether or not to resign with St. Louis, I am OK with that.

    I'm just saying that I will be one pissed off Cardinals fan if El Hombre is traded. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as would I. you do make sense in the event that phat albert does not want to resign. getting a bunch of prospects isn't going to cut it for the majority of us who bleed cardinal red. I, for one, would like an ace pitcher, an everyday position player and a prospect or two or a 2nd starter, good young bat, and a couple prospects. from what you proposed, trading with the dodgers would seem to have us getting the most back, but at the same time, do you want to potentially face pujols in the NLDS? your proposal with the angels i also like.

    But if you are looking into gaining pitching, the Blue Jays have a ton of good young arms and bats. shawn marcum, travis snider or adam lind, and a prospect for pujols. Living near toronto, i would love to see pujols play here 81 times a season. the main flaw with this offer is that toronto doesnt like to spend money

    ReplyDelete