Monday, March 9, 2009

2B or not 2B? That is the question

If you would have told me that we would not have a second baseman with a little bit under a month left of spring training to go, I would have told you that you are crazy. The Cardinals and TLR pride themselves on defense, but to not have a second baseman yet (especially for this organization) is very hard to understand. It is not like there weren't/aren't any second basemen out there. There was Orlando Hudson (who I think is overrated), but he signed with the Dodgers. Ray Durham is still without a team, but way too old. I dont even think that I would want him for a minor league deal regardless of his numbers against the Cubs (to have that as a reason to want him to be the starting second baseman, as some people are, is absolutely ridiculous). I know that everybody liked Aaron Miles, but I was pretty glad to see him go. Besides his defense I was getting pretty sick and tired of watching him use his bat as a pool cue and poking the ball down the left/right field foul lines right to the third or first baseman. He was as close to a guaranteed out as one could be. I would definitely rather have him than converting Skip to 2B if I knew our situation a few months back. Now, lets take a look at some second basemen that we have had in the past starting from the 2000 season.

2000 - 2003 -Fernando Vina
2004 - Tony Womack
2005 - Mark Grudzielanek
2006 - Aaron Miles/Ronnie Belliard (Acquired through trade)
2007 - Aaron Miles/ Adam Kennedy
2008 - Aaron Miles/Adam Kennedy (Lopez played a little 2B)
2009 - ??????????

With the exception of two seasons, we have always had a consistent and proven second baseman. I just dont understand why we are trying something different when we know how to be successful like we have been in the past at this position. Now is not the time to try and convert a very good outfielder to play second base. Granted, he played infield in college, but that was in college. The last time I checked, there are quite a few levels you have to succeed in in order to reach the major leage level, especially at a certain position that you know you can play which will be your ticket to the big leagues. I know we are out of options and I know TLR and Co. lack confidence in certain players (i.e. Brendan Ryan) or straight up didnt like them (i.e. Adam Kennedy), but there comes a time when you have to stick with what you know. Yes, Skip's offensive production would be a big plus at that position, but I would rather have a second baseman with above average defense (like we have in the past) than one who was better offensively and Skip's defense is not good enough yet (3 errors in 8 games thus far in Spring Training). I am not saying that Skip is a lost cause, but to throw him in as our Opening Day starting second baseman doesnt make any sense. I hope Skip proves everybody wrong because I have heard of his athletic abilities, foot speed etc... and that he can make the transfer from outfield to second base, but to be a second baseman you have to have more than that. There is a certain type and that is exactly what we lack.

No comments:

Post a Comment